Just eat the real thing, but, in moderation!

Home » Health » Just eat the real thing, but, in moderation!

I’m still recovering from shoulder surgery and have had friends and clients dropping by to visit, cook and drop off goodies. One said goodie was a See’s Sugar-Free Milk Bar aka a sugar free chocolate bar. The intent of the gift is everything, however, it’s also a teachable moment for me as a Nutritional Health Coach.

First off, would you eat something that had the following warning on it: “Excess consumption of Maltitol may have a laxative effect”     YES, that statement is taken straight off the candy bar at the very bottom of the ingredient list! VERY fine print, I actually had to get a magnifying glass to read it. And NO, my eyesight isn’t that bad, at least not yet.

That Maltitol is the first ingredient. What is it you ask? Maltitol is a sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohols are found naturally in some fruits and vegetables. They’re considered carbohydrates. Sugar alcohols are typically manufactured rather than being used in their natural form. They’re sweet, but not quite as sweet as sugar, and have almost half the calories. 

Did you catch that word “Manufactured” in the description? Yes, this “healthy” alternative candy bar is supposedly sugar free, yet it’s loaded with all forms of sugar alcohols, in fact there’s 4 types. I had to look up almost all the ingredients on this candy bar as I didn’t recognize most of them. There’s a warning sign! If you don’t recognize the ingredients, odds are it was manufactured not cooked or made like just melting chocolate or cocoa butter.  (Still trying to figure out how they are getting away with 0 grams of sugar when it’s loaded with sugar alcohols, they do count those and it’s 16 grams = 4 teaspoons worth)

I totally get the intention of See’s to create treats for everyone to enjoy. However, if you eat the “real thing” in moderation (just a few bites) then I honestly don’t see the harm. A bite or two of a dark chocolate bar is more healthful than eating the whole Sugar Free Milk Bar.  (One serving according to the label, BTW)

The Bottom line, Kris’s take:

If 90% of your day, week, month or year you make healthful choices, then go and enjoy the other 10% of your choices on special treats, like a few bites of a REAL See’s chocolate vs eating all those chemicals that you’ve never heard of on the label on the sugar free candy bar. Or better yet, make your own goodies at home that way you know exactly what’s in them. There’s tons of healthful recipes out there for chocolate goodies, trust me, I know, I’ve done some searches of my own.

By the way, my favorite See’s chocolate is their chocolate-covered Bordeaux! Yum!!!!!

If you’d like to talk to me about this topic or others, please contact me and let’s schedule a date!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Certification

CAMTC #3876

Disclaimer:

This site does not provide medical or legal advice. This site if for informational purposes only.

Payments Accepted

Cash
Check
Visa
Master
Discover
Amex

Connect

lymphatic massage paso robles lymphatic massage paso robles lymphatic massage paso robles

a new path 2 wellness
New Path 2 Wellness